Metropolitikos Naos Metamorfoseos tou Sotiros Christou (Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Jesus Christ)
The Church was built in 1861 and has dominated ever since in the waterfront of Pothia. In there, you can admire its magnificent temple, which was crafted by the great sculptor Giannoulis Halepas and is adorned with paintings of local the artists G. Alahouzos and S. Magglis. The Episcopal Throne of the church is equally impressive and will definetely get your attention. The Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Jesus Christ has been recognized as a historical monument because of its particular historical, religious and cultural value and importance.
In a popular assembly that took place in 1884 in the Church, it was voted the "Regulation of operation of sponge catching and sponge diving machines", through which unprecedented for their time rules are established, regarding commercial and employment laws.
The majestic temple of Agios Savvas the miraculous, is located just above the port of Pothia and is adorned with paintings of particular artistic value and quality. Inside the temple, the skull of Agios Savvas is reverently kept and believers or visitors can worship it.
The temple is built in a place of great beauty, where there is a clear view to the valley of Pothia and towards the sea on the east. The external environment, coupled with the tranquility of the monastery, create a courtyard of unique beauty and tranquility.
Monastery of Panagia Kyra Psili
In a cave on the mountain, north of Vathys, the -abandoned anymore- monastery of Panagia Kyra Psili stands out. According to the prevailing folk legend, the monastery was built by a Kalymnian who had migrated and refused the christian religion, but believed in God again when he returned to the island and got reconnected with his roots.
Another legend states that a shepherd, looking for a goat that had disappeared, discovered the cave by chance. Stepping into the cave, he found an icon of Virgin Mary and tried then to take it to his village. Halfway though, the image itself would return everytime back to the cave.
The locals formed the cave into church and transfered in litany the icon of Virgin Mary to Vathys. Every year in August 15, the icon is restored to the church where an overnight celebration is held. On the Assumption Day, a traditional feast is also organized in Vathys, in the church of Panagia Kyra Psili.
Christos tis Ierousalim (Christ of Jerusalem)
This church is characterized as an aisled basilica. It was built with material taken from the ionic-style Temple of Delian Apollo. According to the tradition, the church was built by Saint Helena or Saint Arcadius on their return from Jerusalem in the fifth century A.D.
In the south aisle of the church, a nice mosaic, similar to the mosaics found in basilicas in Kos island, has been revealed. The church was destroyed in the mid 6th century by an earthquake, it was repaired immediately but it was finally abandoned in the 7th century because of the Arab raids.
Church of Agia Sophia
The church of Agia Sophia was built in the late 5th or early 6th century. It must have been an imposing triconch temple before it was destroyed by the earthquake of 554 A.C. Although it was repaired after the earthquake, the church was permanently abandoned by the believers in the 7th century. A chapel was erected in front of the sanctuary arch during the late Byzantine period, but it is ruined anymore. The excavation works did not fully reveal the church, however some colorful floor mosaics have been rescued.
Early christian church of Taxiarchis
The early christian church of Taxiarchis (the Archangel) is a great basilica of the 6th century AD. Following the usual practice of that time, the church was built with architectural materials taken or removed from ancient buildings, namely a tomb of the hellenistic period. The floor of the central nave is covered by a colorful mosaic.
Church of Panagia Haritomeni
The church of Panagia Haritomeni was built in 1794 in Chora, the first capital of Kalymnos. It features an impressive carved and gold-plated templon, and it is accompanied by a very interesting story regarding the discovery of the old icon of Virgin Mary that adorns the church.
For the construction of the temple the materials used (columns, capitals, inscriptions, reliefs, etc.) were removed from the temple of Delian Apollo. Today, these materials are preserved in excellent condition.